Monday, November 03, 2014

essex everywhere


I have bought more yards of Robert Kaufman's Essex Yarn Dyed fabric this year than I have written posts for my almost-10-year-old blog. I can easily explain the Essex love: it's the perfect fabric, a cotton-linen blend suitable for clothing, quilts and home decor, it washes beautifully and comes in the perfect colours (black being my favourite, hands-down). As for the post count, well, that's not so easy to explain. I'm too fond of Instagram these days? I've lost the work-life balance I once had? Making is paramount to writing about making? Without a clear conclusion on that front, I'll stick to writing when I can. Which will often involve writing about this amazing fabric.

This shirt is a case in point. I've been drafting a pattern that has this gently rounded collar that's partly sailor, partly prairie style. Using the black Essex, I made one for myself which I haven't taken any photos of (except with my phone, which is becoming a bad habit). Sadie loved it and asked that I make one for her in the denim blue for the first day of school. I missed that deadline and procrastinated until Picture Day and in classic Mom fashion, I was still sewing long after Sadie was in bed the night before. I didn't grade the pattern - I've never learned how - but by taking in the armholes it fit her fine. She's 10 now and her chest circumference isn't that far from mine (sadly). It's meant to be worn with a shirt underneath and we made it tunic length so she can wear it with leggings too. She loves it and wore it two days in a row that week, which may not be ideal hygienically but hard to argue when you've hand-sewed half a dozen snaps to a button band. 

Clean, shmean.

5 comments :

beth said... [Reply to comment]

i love that chambray, too. sadly, i stockpile it and don't use it like i should!! actually, i have used it with some zippy bags and a quilt, but bought it for garment sewing!! beautiful top!

kristi said... [Reply to comment]

Love this top! Any chance you'll make the pattern available to others? The delicate details are really nice, and fit the fabric perfectly.

I know just what you mean about instagram being too easy.

sam lamb said... [Reply to comment]

@kristi Thank you Kristi! I've never really thought about sharing the sewing patterns I work on (I'm only slightly more confident with knitting patterns even though I've been sewing for MUCH longer). But maybe it's the perfect challenge, and a good reason to actually go learn pattern grading.

It may be too easy, but I love seeing your creations on Instagram!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

if you published this pattern in an adult size, i would buy it in about 2 seconds

Joy said... [Reply to comment]

Question about the fabric, do you hand wash and line dry or throw it in the machine. Also do you wash before sewing with it?

I'm looking for some easy-care fabric for a dress and this may be it.

Thanks!

Joy